If you want to make texting simpler and faster, follow along to learn how to easily install a dedicated number row to Google’s stock keyboard. Do note that this customized keyboard works better on larger Android phones, as the other keys shrink to make room for the new row, and that’s a problem on small screens.
First, and if you’re not already using it, you need to install the Google Keyboard app, which can be found in the Play Store.
Next, make sure the keyboard is enabled on your device. Just open the app and follow the steps it gives you.
Now that you have it installed and enabled, we’re ready to customize.
1. Go to the Keyboard app’s settings.
You can do this by clicking on the app icon or by holding the comma key on the actual keyboard.
2. Select “Appearance and layouts.”
3. Select “Custom input styles.”
4. Select the plus (+) sign at the top of your screen to create a new style.
5. Select your language of choice for the new style. The layout you want is “PC.”
6. Last but not least, you need to enable the new style you’ve just created.
The pop-up will send you to the languages page. Once there, deselect the current input method and select the custom input method you just created. It will be the one with “(PC).”
Try it out. See what you think. If you don’t like it, you can revert back by going to the app’s settings, clicking “Languages,” deselecting the custom input method, and selecting “Use system language.”
If you weren’t already using the Google Keyboard app and you want to get rid of it, simply uninstall the app to return to your old keyboard.
Hope you enjoy your shiny, new, customized keyboard!